[bt-devel] New Windows Build

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Oct 11 02:45:37 MST 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:

> I have created a new installable for the Windows version of BibleTime.
> It contains the bug fixes and features that we added today (Saturday 10
> October). It is available at:
> http://sourcearchives.com/downloads/bibletime-2.4.0-win32.exe

Great! There are still problems, but it's good to see this going on.

When I open BT the first time, it doesn't have the main toolbar. When I
enable it, it covers the menu. I think this has been noticed earlier.

> Other than installing it you must also set the SWORD_PATH environment
> variable as a user variable in your control panel. You can use either of
> the following procedures.
>
> 1.  set it to c:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\.sword and make the
> .sword directory using a Command Prompt window
>
> or
>
> 2. set it to some other path and in the BibleTime Bookshelf Manager you
> must "configure the paths where works are installed" to match the
> SWORD_PATH.
>
> Test it and find any bugs it might have. I will work on a automatic
> method for setting the SWORD_PATH next.
>
> Gary Holmlund

The Sword path is really the most important issue now.

We should think about what parts of the Sword we install. There are no
Sword localizations in BT package which means that Biblical books can
have only American English names - unless the SWORD_PATH is set to an
existing Sword installation, I guess. These things can be very confusing
to users and developers, too, if they are reported as bugs. Therefore
it's important to work on the compatibility between different Sword
frontends, as we already know.

I also see .sword directory in the BT installation directory. Probably
the localizations should go there. But what happens if there is an
existing Sword installation? Does the Bookshelf Manager work differently
because there is the InstallMgr directory in our installation directory?
What does it do there, anyway?

And how about the Sword configuration? Should it be installed in our
installation directory, or in SWORD_PATH?

I think that if the SWORD_PATH is set, the Bookshelf Manager should
automatically use that path for installed works, or at least add it to
the list of paths where the works are found (yes, these are two
different things which is quite confusing). It shouldn't be necessary
for the user to set it manually.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland