[bt-devel] Qt versions and Hardy Backport of Bibletime 2.0

Wolfgang Stradner E wolfgang_stradner at wycliffe.org
Sat May 30 01:35:48 MST 2009

Hi Johnathan

Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> Wolfgang Stradner E wrote:
>

>> I have Kubuntu 8.04-Hardy, Xubuntu 8.10-Intrepid and Ubuntu 9.04-Jaunty
>> on my computers.
>> Would you mind to make a package also for Ubuntu 8.04-Hardy, the actual
>> LTS (long time support) version of Ubuntu?
>>

> I tried.  I'm getting a message at build time:
>
>   CMake Error: The installed Qt version 4.3.4 is too old,
>   at least version 4.4.0 is required
>
> when I try to build on Hardy.  I think this could only be fixed by
> backporting and packaging of Qt 4.4.0 or later for Hardy, which is a
> project I'm not willing to attempt at this stage :)
>
> I don't think you can compile BibleTime 2.0 on Hardy from the source
> tarball (without obtaining a newer Qt from outside of the Ubuntu
> repositories, at least!).  That makes this a conscious choice by the
> BibleTime developers to no longer support the (old) version of Qt in
> Hardy -- and so this is not really my fault :)

Thanks for trying it.

>> The same for Bibledit please (a bibledit - 3.7~hardy1 package)
>>

> This may be possible; it compiles on Hardy, at least.  However one of
> the package building tools (debhelper) we used does not have some
> features in its Hardy version that we made use of... so I'd have to
> rework that part of the packaging process.  Not a quick and simple
> thing, but doable if I really need to do it.

This is complicated too
> Is the continuing use of Hardy on desktops (and notebooks) something
> that is common in SIL, or common among translators?

I do not know about this, but I do not think. The reason I asked this,
that laptops like the Dell Dell Inspiron Mini 10v are sold with Ubuntu
8.04 installed ...

So if it is too complicated to provide packages for the actuel LTS
versions of Linux (8.04), perhaps this can be done in the future. I
suppose that Ubuntu 10.04 could be the next LTS candidate, or what do
you think?

Wolfgang