[bt-devel] Qt versions and Hardy Backport of Bibletime 2.0 (was: Re: BibleTime 2.0 Ubuntu packages released )

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat May 30 01:19:35 MST 2009

Wolfgang Stradner E wrote:

> I have Kubuntu 8.04-Hardy, Xubuntu 8.10-Intrepid and Ubuntu 9.04-Jaunty
> on my computers.
> Would you mind to make a package also for Ubuntu 8.04-Hardy, the actual
> LTS (long time support) version of Ubuntu?

I tried.  I'm getting a message at build time:

  CMake Error: The installed Qt version 4.3.4 is too old,
  at least version 4.4.0 is required

when I try to build on Hardy.  I think this could only be fixed by
backporting and packaging of Qt 4.4.0 or later for Hardy, which is a
project I'm not willing to attempt at this stage :)

I don't think you can compile BibleTime 2.0 on Hardy from the source
tarball (without obtaining a newer Qt from outside of the Ubuntu
repositories, at least!).  That makes this a conscious choice by the
BibleTime developers to no longer support the (old) version of Qt in
Hardy -- and so this is not really my fault :)

> The same for Bibledit please (a bibledit - 3.7~hardy1 package)

This may be possible; it compiles on Hardy, at least.  However one of
the package building tools (debhelper) we used does not have some
features in its Hardy version that we made use of... so I'd have to
rework that part of the packaging process.  Not a quick and simple
thing, but doable if I really need to do it.

Is the continuing use of Hardy on desktops (and notebooks) something
that is common in SIL, or common among translators?

Jonathan