[bt-devel] gnome-doc-utils requirement silently added?

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Fri May 8 22:47:34 MST 2009

On May 4, 2009 12:44:40 am Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> In svn r1268 the svn log says:
>
>  - Remove reference to KDE, noticed by Greg Hellings
>
> However, this revision also silently added gnome-doc-utils as a
> developer requirement to the README.

This is my doing, obviously. I should have done more document my rationale.

The need for gnome-doc-utils has been around probably for as long as BT has
used DocBook. The tool xml2po to generate documenation resides in in this
package. If you check the recent activity in the BT translation list, you
will see some instructions I provided to translators for testing and
validating their work with various tool, including gnome-doc-utils.

> (1) Is gnome-doc-utils required to build BibleTime from source now?

This package is not needed to build BT from source, it was included as
optional tools that developers/translators would find useful.

> (2) Where specifically are those utilities being used, and when (which
> svn revision) did this change happen?  I'm guessing somewhere after
> r1242, since 2.0 beta2 builds OK for me without that package present.

As stated above has been around a long time.

> Packagers (and developers in general) need to be made aware of such
> things -- I may need to add gnome-doc-utils to the Build-Depends: line
> of the BibleTime debian/control file :)

You will not need to add it to your dependency list.

> In general, I think it would be good to highlight any change to the
> software needed to build BibleTime in an email on bt-devel, and in the
> svn log.  If that happened, and I somehow missed it, my apologies!

You are absolutely correct on all points, you missed nothing, it was me, and I
off you m most humble apologies.

> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps!

Thomas

- --
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer
tabthorpe at FreeBSD.org	| http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe