[bt-devel] gnome-doc-utils requirement silently added?

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Fri May 8 22:52:14 MST 2009

On May 8, 2009 05:12:36 am Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>  > In svn r1268 the svn log says:
>  >
>  >  - Remove reference to KDE, noticed by Greg Hellings
>  >
>  > However, this revision also silently added gnome-doc-utils as a
>  > developer requirement to the README.
>
> Who can explain this? I'm not familiar with it.

I can and did, just follow the thread :/

> If you ask me, I don't like having any dependencies which are not really
> needed, especially if it has "gnome" on its name. If it's only for the
> manual/howto it should be mentioned explicitly. Most developers don't
> handle the application docs anyways. If the needed program is really
> some subset of the mentioned package, for example some command line
> tool, it should be mentioned explicitly, because it may be packaged
> differently in different distros.

I agree with you on this, since xml2po is rolled with a package named "gnome"
it is something we will need to keep around until another related app can be
used to replace it.

Point well taken, I will update README to reflect that this tool is helpful
for those doing documentaion/translation.

> > (1) Is gnome-doc-utils required to build BibleTime from source now?
>
> No. I don't have it installed, yet BT builds fine.
>
> > Packagers (and developers in general) need to be made aware of such
> > things -- I may need to add gnome-doc-utils to the Build-Depends: line
> > of the BibleTime debian/control file :)
> >
> > In general, I think it would be good to highlight any change to the
> > software needed to build BibleTime in an email on bt-devel, and in the
> > svn log.  If that happened, and I somehow missed it, my apologies!
>
> I agree.
>

> --Eeli Kaikkonen

Again, sorry for the noise.

Thomas