[bt-devel] LICENSE file uses obsolete copy of GPLv2, and is modified?

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun May 3 22:11:46 MST 2009

Looking again at svn r1268, I noticed two things:

(1) The LICENSE file has extra added material at the top which is not
present in the GNU GPL licence; since the file does not clearly
distinguish where this header ends and the licence begins, and the GPL
expressly forbids modifications, I'm left wondering what the reason for
adding the header is, and whether it is really advisable to add it?

(2) The text of the GPL that is included is very old, using an incorrect
(old) address for the FSF and referring to the now-defunct Library GPL
(it is now called the Lesser GPL, and has been for several years).

I'd suggest simply replacing the BibleTime LICENSE file with the text of
the GPL v2, as downloaded from

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt

without any changes at all.  Note that BibleTime copyright information
is not part of the GPL licence itself, but is included in the source
code files themselves.

Jonathan