[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.1 packaged for Ubuntu

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 13 21:53:14 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

>> Hopefully Gary or Eeli can find a way to improve that for BT 2.2.

> I believe Troy has a suggestion he's made to the list as to how this
> is possible, but we were waiting for after the 2.1 release to try it
> out.

So now 2.1 is out, there is no reason to wait :)

Actually I was thinking more of an interim "fix" along the lines of a
test in the installer that does something like (pseudocode):

  install_multi_threaded = true         // Default to multithreaded
  if number_of_modules_to_install > 4   // Or other small value of n
    install_multi_threaded = false
  fi

  // Then branch on install_multi_threaded to decide whether to
  // do all the installs is one thread, or one thread per module.

until the real official solution allowing both good install speed and
multiple threads when installing many modules becomes available.  But I
don't know how doable that kind of a "fix" would be.

> I will build 2.1 for Mac tomorrow and hopefully we can post that to
> the download page as a public beta for Mac?  I hope to have a Windows
> build to beta status by 2.2, building off of what I learned from Mac
> and from digging through the Qt4 docs.

Cool; it would be good to get the non-Unix builds closer to a similar
status as the Unix-based ones enjoy.

Jonathan