[bt-devel] New tracker for thirdparty bugs

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 05:55:26 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen <
eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Greg Hellings wrote:
>
> > I will once again ask if it's possible to create a separate mailing
> > list, like bt-tracker or some such thing, to handle all of the tracker
> > additions, comments, changes, etc.  By far the most of the traffic I
> > get here on bt-devel are from the tracker, which are more or less
> > meaningless to me, and serve no purpose but to flood me with emails
> > that don't need my attention.
> >
> > --Greg
>
> I can sympathize with you and wouldn't oppose removing the automatic
> bug database -> bt-devel connection. However, I'm afraid that developers
> wouldn't necessarily join a bugs list - or what do others say? It's
> quite important that as many as possible read and react to bug reports.

I agree with Greg.  The purpose of a development list is to discuss
development.  Having the bug tracker sending emails is a good idea, but only
if it's opt-in (and the easiest way to do that is to have a separate list).
If a genuine developer is unwilling to opt-in to a bug tracking mailing list
then I think it suggests they are not serious enough about it (while a lot
of those on this list are on it just to see how SWORD is being used and what
other Bible software developers are doing).

Jon