[bt-devel] New tracker for thirdparty bugs

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 06:12:05 MST 2009

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen
> <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi <mailto:eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi>>
> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Greg Hellings wrote:
>
>     > I will once again ask if it's possible to create a separate mailing
>     > list, like bt-tracker or some such thing, to handle all of the
>     tracker
>     > additions, comments, changes, etc.  By far the most of the traffic I
>     > get here on bt-devel are from the tracker, which are more or less
>     > meaningless to me, and serve no purpose but to flood me with emails
>     > that don't need my attention.
>     >
>     > --Greg
>
>     I can sympathize with you and wouldn't oppose removing the automatic
>     bug database -> bt-devel connection. However, I'm afraid that
>     developers
>     wouldn't necessarily join a bugs list - or what do others say? It's
>     quite important that as many as possible read and react to bug
>     reports.
>

> I agree with Greg.  The purpose of a development list is to discuss
> development.  Having the bug tracker sending emails is a good idea,
> but only if it's opt-in (and the easiest way to do that is to have a
> separate list).  If a genuine developer is unwilling to opt-in to a
> bug tracking mailing list then I think it suggests they are not
> serious enough about it (while a lot of those on this list are on it
> just to see how SWORD is being used and what other Bible software
> developers are doing).
>
> Jon
I agree with this. I certainly would be willing to join a bug mailing list.

I currently run message filter rules on my inbox and drop "bt-devel"
into one folder and "bibletime-Bugs" and others into a second folder.
This accomplishes the separation without having a separate mailing list.
Perhaps this is an option for others?

Gary