[bt-devel] Try profiling? (was: Windows performance issue)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 22 23:30:14 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

> So I've been trying to look into this Windows GUI performance issue
> that has been noticed.  ...

> Does anyone have a suggestion for tools I could use to help track down
> the issue or possible sources of the problem?

I'm not a Windows/MS Visual Studio developer, but there has to be a way
to profile an application -- find out where in the code it is spending
all that time.  If it turns out the time is being spent in the Qt
library, then the library probably has an issue... if in underlying
Windows API calls, then that's where to look... and so forth.

A quick Google suggests the tool you want is called "Visual Studio
Profiler" and that it is part of Visual Studio 2008.  See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc337887.aspx for one article
about it.

Hoping this helps,

Jonathan