[bt-devel] Windows performance issue

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:21:48 MST 2009

So I've been trying to look into this Windows GUI performance issue
that has been noticed.  So far, for me at least, it is only present on
the bookshelf manager.  The actual text windows are operating just
fine.  However, I've tested everything I could think that I changed
between using the 4.4 series and using the 4.5 series of Qt, and
nothing has improved its performance.  The Bookshelf Manager still
takes several seconds to respond to any input.

Does anyone have a suggestion for tools I could use to help track down
the issue or possible sources of the problem?  You're more than
welcome to grab my copy of the build environment if you'd like - just
let me know so I can upload my latest copy.  I have built the exact
same version of BibleTime, linked against the same copies of clucene,
curl and libsword -- version A was linked against the 4.4.3 libraries
and version B was linked against the 4.5.0 libraries.  Version A runs
without a single problem, while version B displays the lag problems
that are so apparent.

Could it just be optimization flags?  Could it be something in the
Windows-specific code for BibleTime?  Could it be that I broke Qt
4.5.0 while building it?  Anyone's advice or ideas is more than
welcome - I'm at the end of my rope on this issue.  Has anyone else
seen this issue with 4.5.0 on your system?

--Greg