[bt-devel] Try profiling? (was: Windows performance issue)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:46:30 MST 2009

Jonathan,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Greg Hellings wrote:
>
>> So I've been trying to look into this Windows GUI performance issue
>> that has been noticed.  ...
>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion for tools I could use to help track down
>> the issue or possible sources of the problem?
>
> I'm not a Windows/MS Visual Studio developer, but there has to be a way
> to profile an application -- find out where in the code it is spending
> all that time.  If it turns out the time is being spent in the Qt
> library, then the library probably has an issue... if in underlying
> Windows API calls, then that's where to look... and so forth.
>
> A quick Google suggests the tool you want is called "Visual Studio
> Profiler" and that it is part of Visual Studio 2008.  See
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc337887.aspx for one article
> about it.

That looks like it will do exactly what I need.  As soon as I'm done
rebuilding Qt 4.5, I'll give it a whirl (probably tomorrow, at this
point, unless Qt 4.5 builds incredibly faster now that I've disabled
examples and demos).  Thanks for finding that for me - I should have
seen it in front of my face the whole time!

--Greg