[bt-devel] BT 2.0.beta1 released

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 10:05:04 MST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Martin Gruner <mg.pub at gmx.net> wrote:
> Please find it at sourceforge.
>
> On our development page (http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Development_Plan)
> there are no serious items holding up this release. So please speak up: is
> there anything we should wait for?
>
> The only thing I can think of (an official windows build being not mandatory) is
> Sword 1.6.0, but we could also make a quick follow-up release if there are API
> changes from now on. Another question is when we should drop support for Sword
> < 1.6.x, which we should definitely do some time after the release.

I believe the plan is for 1.6.x to be API compatible with the final
1.6.0 release, and any API-breaking or new feature development to take
place in HEAD which will later come out in the 1.7 branch.  Dropping
support for <1.6 after we have Windows and Mac bundles as well as all
the Linux distros are upgraded to 1.6 is logical from a programming
standpoint, though...

> Maybe we should make a 2.1 release that offers full support for 1.6.0 and
> alternative versification?

I think that this should be our deciding factor in dropping <1.6
support.  If the main repositories quickly update all their content so
that it requires alternate versification, then we should drop <1.6
support very quickly.  If alternate versification material is very
slow to appear, then keeping around support for the earlier versions
of the library is probably relatively easy and harmless.

--Greg