[bt-devel] code strictness

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sat Apr 5 09:28:15 MST 2008

Dear developer(s),  ;)

in order to improve the quality BibleTime's codebase, I added the compiler
flags "--pedantic-errors" (enforce strict C++ standard) and "-Wall -Wabi",
which will produce many and detailed error messages. The warnings are not
enforced (-Werror would do this by failing to compile if there are warnings),
but all developers are encouraged to work towards reduction of the warning
messages. Maybe one day we can also enable "-Werror" one day, which would
give us the benefits of much stricter code checking by gcc than we have now.
Warnings should not be considered nasty disturbance, but indications that
there might be weak design or other potential problems in the code. Newly
produced code should not produce new warnings.

Thanks.

mg