[bt-devel] cmake system and building one .cpp file

cricketc at gmail.com cricketc at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:43:05 MST 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:50:10AM +0300, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> It's a good idea. But as we saw in my case, even in one platform many
> things can go wrong if something, even small, is done differently. And
> there are so many things which can go wrong with alpha code that it's
> impossible to give one clear guideline.

I'm getting an error about a "CheckSymbolExists.c" in CMakeTmp. I have
no idea what that's about. Then, I'm also getting errors from the
cmake modules in the directory where I put the KDE sources (I compiled
qt & kde from source). I'm not sure if that's because of the first
error, or something else I need to fix.

Here's my error: (I put the whole output, and it's kind of long)

$cmake ../bibletime
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++ -- works
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
CMake Error: Unknown extension ".c" for file
"/home/kde4/bibletime-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckSymbolExists.c".
TRY_COMPILE only works for enabled languages.
Currently enabled languages are: CXX
See PROJECT command for help enabling other languages.
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
CMake Error: Unknown extension ".c" for file
"/home/kde4/bibletime-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckSymbolExists.c".
TRY_COMPILE only works for enabled languages.
Currently enabled languages are: CXX
See PROJECT command for help enabling other languages.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
CMake Error: Unknown extension ".c" for file
"/home/kde4/bibletime-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckSymbolExists.c".
TRY_COMPILE only works for enabled languages.
Currently enabled languages are: CXX
See PROJECT command for help enabling other languages.
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
-- Found Qt-Version 4.3.0-snapshot-20070508
-- Found Qt-Version 4.3.0-snapshot-20070508
-- Looking for pthread.h
CMake Error: Unknown extension ".c" for file
"/home/kde4/bibletime-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c".
TRY_COMPILE only works for enabled languages.
Currently enabled languages are: CXX
See PROJECT command for help enabling other languages.
-- Looking for pthread.h - not found
-- Performing Test HAVE_FPIE_SUPPORT
-- Performing Test HAVE_FPIE_SUPPORT - Success
-- Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_NO_THREADSAFE_STATICS
-- Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_NO_THREADSAFE_STATICS - Success
-- Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY
-- Performing Test __KDE_HAVE_GCC_VISIBILITY - Success
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}${CMAKE_FILES_DIRECTORY}/CMakeTmpQmake/tmp.pro:27:
MATH cannot parse the expression: "sh: ARGS: not found*10000 + sh:
ARGS: not found*100 + sh: ARGS: not found": syntax error, unexpected
exp_TIMES, expecting exp_OPENPARENT or exp_NUMBER (20)
Current CMake stack:
/home/kde4/bibletime/CMakeLists.txt;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake;/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:712:
A command failed during the invocation of macro
"MACRO_ENSURE_VERSION".
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:712:
MACRO_ENSURE_VERSION unknown error.
Current CMake stack:
/home/kde4/bibletime/CMakeLists.txt;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake;/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}${CMAKE_FILES_DIRECTORY}/CMakeTmpQmake/tmp.pro:27:
MATH cannot parse the expression: "sh: ARGS: not found*10000 + sh:
ARGS: not found*100 + sh: ARGS: not found": syntax error, unexpected
exp_TIMES, expecting exp_OPENPARENT or exp_NUMBER (20)
Current CMake stack:
/home/kde4/bibletime/CMakeLists.txt;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake;/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:713:
A command failed during the invocation of macro
"MACRO_ENSURE_VERSION".
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:713:
MACRO_ENSURE_VERSION unknown error.
Current CMake stack:
/home/kde4/bibletime/CMakeLists.txt;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake;/home/kde4/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
-- Didn't find KDE4 headers
-- Found KDE4 library dir: /home/kde4/kde/lib
-- Found KDE4 kconfig_compiler preprocessor:
/home/kde4/kde/bin/kconfig_compiler
CMake Error: ERROR: could NOT find everything required for compiling
KDE 4 programs
-- Configuring done

> Give your error output here and I try to help. Also we can use gtalk or
> jabber if you happen to use them and if we find some time (what's your
> timezone? This is UTC+3, Europe/Helsinki). My addresses are
> eeli.kaikkonen at gmail.com and elmo at njs.netlab.cz, but I haven't
> been online lately. I already thought that I could help you to start
> coding if you are less experienced than me.

Thanks for your offer to help, I need it.:) My gtalk is just the
address I send these messages from, but I'm about 8-9 hours behind you
in time. About the only time I can work on this is during the evenings
during the week (which would be early morning your time), but maybe we
can connect on the weekend. I added your contact information to my
contacts, so hopefully we'll connect sometime.

> Anyways, you are free to contribute to wiki. You can even ask questions
> there and we then can edit it after we find out what's wrong.

Yeah, I think I'll add a page about building KDE4 and then developing
with BT.

Sorry I haven't really done anything yet. I've been moving back home
for the summer, starting my internship, and now trying to get BT to
build at all, so I haven't been doing much coding. Things are settling
down, though, so I hope to be doing more.

-Benjie