[bt-devel] Re: Two messages about binary packages

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 17:08:09 MST 2005

On 10/18/05, Jeremy Erickson <jerickson314 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> (Greg wrote)
> > I would appreciate if the gentleman who is looking for other RPM-based
> > distros wouldn't mind making a CentOS/RHEL set of RPMs. It *should* be
> > possible just to make one set of RPMs, since CentOS is supposed to keep
> > itself up2date along with the latest releases of RHEL sources. Having
> those
> > available (and Sword RPMs for all these distros too?) would be a really
> nice
> > feature for those of us who use it because of it's impressive laptop
> support
> > :-P.
> > --Greg
>
> I can go ahead and do that. I can probably start the download tonight (as
> we're supposed to limit our bandwidth usage during peak hours). Should I
> do
> CentOS 3 and 4, or just one or the other? I don't have access to RHEL, so
> hopefully CentOS should be binary compatible as advertised.

I would imagine that people who are in enterprise settings (and myself with
the laptop) don't always update very often for stability's sake. It is my
guess that building for 3 and 4 would be a good plan, but it all depends on
how much time you want to put into it. And yes, in my experience builds for
RHEL and CentOS have been binary compatible so far. Thanks for your work!

--Greg