[bt-devel] Problem compiling Bibletime from the CVS

Steven P. Ulrick bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:19:31 -0500

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:32:41 +0200
Martin Gruner <mg.pub@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hey Stephen,
>

> I am using the same version of autoconf, but instead automake 1.7. So
> I just changed to 1.6 and tried it, and it works for me. Is there
> anything else special with your system?
> The error message reminded me of the one we had when upgrading from
> automake1.5 to higher, i believe. But that can't be the reason any
> more....
Hello, Martin :)
On my system, I have all the official Red Hat updates installed.  If Red
Hat has an update of it, then I don't vary from their update.  As far as
things like RPM, compilers and the different auto* tools, I never mess
with those at all.  The only other additions to my system that didn't
ship with Red Hat 9, are graphics and multimedia related applications.
(Of course, Bibletime and Sword, as well)
Also, I have a policy: if an application requires me to change things
like autoconf, automake, etc, I will change them.  BUT, if the resulting
application won't run after I reinstall the default or officially
updated versions, then I figure I don't need that resulting application
that bad :)

> Are you sure you have the very latest CVS HEAD?
For the purpose of experimentation, I am downloading a fresh copy of
Bibletime from the CVS.  I used the following commands to do so:

cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.bibletime.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bibletime
login
cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.bibletime.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bibletime co
bibletime

I thought I got these commands directly from Bibletime's page on
Sourceforge.net
I will now check to see exactly how they appear on Sourceforge.....
This is what I found on Sourceforge:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bibletime login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bibletime co
modulename

I just started downloading another fresh copy of Bibletime, using the
Exact commands from the Sourceforge page.....

While we are waiting, just need to let you know that the Fresh copy of
the CVS that I referred to about 11 lines above this one, is now
compiling perfectly.  This is strange, as I ran "make distclean" before
I re-ran all of the usual commands I run to compile Bibletime, and I've
changed nothing on my system as relating to compiling source code from
the last time I successfully compile Bibletime, which would have been a
few days ago.

Okay, "make" just finished on the First fresh copy of Bibletime that I
downloaded from the CVS.  "make install" completed perfectly, as well.

I am now compiling the Second fresh copy of Bibletime that I just
downloaded from the CVS, the one that I got from the Exact command from
the Sourceforge page.  It is proceeding nicely, as well.

Well, I guess that everything is working fine now :)  But it would sure
be nice to know what went wrong the first time, because I made no
changes to my system between my last successful compilation of
Bibletime, and the one that is referred to in the subject line of this
e-mail.
Another interesting thing is the slight difference in location between
the two sets of commands I quoted above.  I Am Not smart enough on these
things to just come up with that on my own :)  I just can't remember
where I got that slightly different location from (unless the command on
the Sourceforge page changed)  Also, up until last night, everything had
been working perfectly (except for the fact that the Bibletime Icons
still don't install on my system.)

Anyway, have a Great Day, and if you have any more ideas/questions for
me, I will be glad to be of service to you :)

Steven P. Ulrick