[bt-devel] reference selector

Steven P. Ulrick bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:50:50 -0500

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
Nikolay Igotti <Nikolay.Igotti@Sun.Com> wrote:

>   Today I put on CVS "reference selector" - i.e. dialog which lets you
>
> type in select reference like "Exo. 5:2" or select verse using
> standard selector. Comments are welcome.
>
>   Nikolay.

Just installed the new version of the CVS of Bibletime that I just got,
and the reference selector works now :)  That icon I mentioned that
didn't work, though, was the reference selector icon.

But anyway, the item in question appears to do the most of the same
functions that are already dealt with in the main toolbar.  But I must
say that I do like the new function, the one where you type the
reference in and it goes right to it.  If that could be seamlessly
integrated into the GUI, that would be cool :)

Now on to what I didn't like about it: I have no problem with the fact
that when I open the reference selector, the dropdown menus leave
their normal location and appear on the screen as part of the reference
selector.  The problem that I see is that when I click cancel or ok,
only a small part of the dropdown menus is restored (the far left part
of the "book" menu, Gen if Genesis is selected), and then the display
options menu isn't restored to it's proper place. Sometimes the dropdown
menu for display options is restored, but as an icon of it's own,
completely separated from it's original location.  And finally,
sometimes the "select additional modules" menus behave the same way that
the "display options" menu does (sometimes) after the selector is
closed, or "OK" is chosen.

But again, I do like the ability to just type a reference in and it pops
right up :)

Off the intended subject of this message, if you begin discussing ideas
for a new GUI, I have at least a few ideas that I am looking forward to
sharing, but this message is already long enough :)

Have a great day :)
Steven P. Ulrick