[bt-devel] back/forward buttons preview

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:14:25 +0200

Hi Nikolay!

> >The question is now how next/previous should be implemented in the display
> >windows! Since we already have these buttons adding buttons with the same
> >functionality at a different place will confuse users. BibleTime should be
> >easy to navigate but powerful enough for more serious work.
>
>  Really it won't be the same functionality (althouh IMHO those spin control
> aren't enough convinient). If you'll use whatis button on newly added
> buttons - you'll see that their intention is to move to next item, whatever
> it means. And I don't see how those buttons could interfere with serious
> work :). I think we should ask our users.

Good idea. Was thinking about a new webpage system with database, maybe use
Zope or another automatic system so we can add things like surveys in an easy
way.

> >I see another options: Changing the keychooser widget to offer the
> >next/previous item buttons in a better way so users can better navigate in
> >the windows.
>
>  Well, MDI _is_ misleading interface, IMHO. Look at modern browsers -
> tabbed view become more and more popular. And also controls in every window
> take precious space. Another important feature we missed (I gonna fix it
> soon) is better keychooser, so user can just enter key like
> Exo.5:12 and see it in browser. TODO: what icon should we use?

Yeah, I know that MDI is a bad choice in _most_ of the apps, but not all. I
think BibleTime is one of the few apps which can use MDI in a good way. Do
you know a better soltution?

I think we should stay with the current GUI guidelines until BibleTime 2.0
(should be completely redesigned). Something like KDevelops sucessor Gideon
is a cool concept, using plugins and KParts all over the place is cool.
We should share ideas for 2.0 and with your professional help we can make
BibleTime 2.0 a really cool, more poerful and useful application.

But for 1.x we should stay with the current design, so users won't get
confused. Is this ok for you? Do you have other concepts/ideas?

> >Do you know another way to do this? I'd be glad to hear some comments.
> >Please don't misunderstand me, I _do_ like the work you're doing. I wish I
> >posted some GUI guidelines before. I think we should add the most
> > important guidelines to the WiKi on SF.
>
>  Thanks for being so polite :). Really I'm not agianst critisizm, until
> it's reasonable and nondestructive.

I hope I'm reasonable enough :)

Joachim