[bt-devel] back/forward buttons preview

Nikolay Igotti bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:00:34 -0700

>I see a problem with your solution. Since we can use more than on window at
>the same time we decided to give each window it's own navigation controls
>(keychoosers, combos ...).
>So all navigation should go into the display windows (CBibleReadWindow, etc.).
>Buttons which work in a different way for different windows (e.g.
>next/previous will work differently for Bibles, lexicons or books).
 Yeah, my solution was preliminary in the sense of what back/forward do.
Currently it just next/previous chapter in current active Bible window.
Geanerally idea is to make all windows implement some "navigation interface",
like previous(), next(), home(), goto() in module dependent way.

>The question is now how next/previous should be implemented in the display
>windows! Since we already have these buttons adding buttons with the same
>functionality at a different place will confuse users. BibleTime should be
>easy to navigate but powerful enough for more serious work.
 Really it won't be the same functionality (althouh IMHO those spin control
aren't enough convinient). If you'll use whatis button on newly added buttons -
you'll see that their intention is to move to next item, whatever it means.
And I don't see how those buttons could interfere with serious work :).
I think we should ask our users.

>I see another options: Changing the keychooser widget to offer the
>next/previous item buttons in a better way so users can better navigate in
>the windows.
 Well, MDI _is_ misleading interface, IMHO. Look at modern browsers -
tabbed view become more and more popular. And also controls in every window
take precious space. Another important feature we missed (I gonna fix it soon)
is better keychooser, so user can just enter key like
Exo.5:12 and see it in browser. TODO: what icon should we use?

 As you probably noted I also changed default behavior on startup:
now we load default Bible and also search happens in default modules,
unless others selected.

>Do you know another way to do this? I'd be glad to hear some comments.
>Please don't misunderstand me, I _do_ like the work you're doing. I wish I
>posted some GUI guidelines before. I think we should add the most important
>guidelines to the WiKi on SF.
 Thanks for being so polite :). Really I'm not agianst critisizm, until it's
reasonable and nondestructive.

  Thanks,
     Nikolay.