[bt-devel] Sword and bibletime current cvs rpm's.

Brook Humphrey bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:09:39 -0700

On Thursday 10 October 2002 08:50 pm, Lamar Owen wrote:
> If you can't I can for RH8, as well as for Red Hat 7.3 (for a while) and
> Aurora SPARC/Linux on UltraSPARC (where I already have it running, since my
> home machine is a Sun Ultra10 with a 21 inch monitor).

That would be much apricaited as I really have no love for them. Especially
after thier last round of shenanigans.

> Like you I have been very busy.  My wife just gave birth to our fourth
> child (our third daughter) Natara Faith.  But I'm still interested in
> helping -- particularly to get rid of the necessity for hand-editing the
> spec file for anything.  That is, to me, the biggest annoyance I had had
> with the previous spec file -- one must hand-edit it to build it.

Yes this would be great.

> At this point a statically linked executable might need to static link
> glibc too.  And it will need to be compiled with more than one gcc.  Not to
> mention dealing with the various places KDE gets put.  Unfortunately LSB
> isn't forceful enough to standardize the locations of these things -- and
> of course each distribution thinks its way is the right way. :-)

well not actually. I have been able to get clear to last part of the cimpile
were bibletime is doing the last linking. This is right before the compile
finishes. After this it is done and starts teh make install. Were it always
failed before was on the linking of the qt-libs wich for dependency ask for
one of the xlibs dealing with font rendering (can't remember the name right
now). It always said that it was not ther when in fact I looked and the
function was indeed in the lib. I recompiled xfree, qt and kde(the last two
to turn in the static builds) and none of this fixed the situation. I may
need to force qt static to build a littel different to get this to go. Oh
also I had to recompile libmng also to get the static libs. Anyway it's gets
so close I hate to give up. I'm also hoping that the newer gcc 3.2 and the
build tools may help this. We will see.

> If you want to work in that direction, and don't mind me working towards
> editless spec files, I believe that may be a good division of labor.  If
> you desire such, of course.  AFAIK we both have cvs commit privileges,
> which I have not yet used.

Thats is fine I havn't actually used cvs for this project yet either aven
though I've been helping out for quite a few years. if you would like my
current spec let me know.

> In no case do I want you to think I'm trying to step into your role -- jus
> trying to help out a project that I personally use

I never thought that I mostly would just apriciate the help. I will say one
thing about the specs I make at least they build when many others have tried
and get results that are less than usable. At least they have been of use and
not just for myself.

> > ps: On a side note I have finally figured out how to use cvs correctly
> > and checkout, commit, etc. So I would be more than happy to commit my
> > spec changes to cvs if any body would like.
>
> Please do.  CVS is designed to allow multideveloper collaboration in that
> way.
>
> > Also I know I have been scarce arround here for a long time. I hope to
> > chagne that here soon. Thanks.
>
> Hope you are able to swing it too -- same here.
Thanks for the response. Also if the setup wizard gets done I'm really going
to push to get this thing into mandrake.

- --
                                      Brook Humphrey
        Mobile PC Medic, 420 1st, Cheney, WA 99004, 509-235-9107
http://www.webmedic.net, bah@webmedic.net, bah@linux-mandrake.com
                                 Holiness unto the Lord