[bt-devel] Sword and bibletime current cvs rpm's.

Lamar Owen bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:50:32 -0400

On Thursday 10 October 2002 10:01 am, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> OK guys I have current cvs for sword and bibletime compiled on my mandrake
> 9.0 box.  I have redhat 8.0 here and will most likely be able to get rpm's
> for that too.

If you can't I can for RH8, as well as for Red Hat 7.3 (for a while) and
Aurora SPARC/Linux on UltraSPARC (where I already have it running, since my
home machine is a Sun Ultra10 with a 21 inch monitor).

> I know I have seen many that have mention wanting to help with this and had
> ideas for how to do the rpm's with better specs than what I have made. Even
> still my specs get the job done in a fairly clean way. I will be working
> Twards  maybe cleaning these up and who knows. If anybody would like to
> have any input into the making of the specs, how to clean them up, or
> whatever else let me know.

Like you I have been very busy.  My wife just gave birth to our fourth child
(our third daughter) Natara Faith.  But I'm still interested in helping --
particularly to get rid of the necessity for hand-editing the spec file for
anything.  That is, to me, the biggest annoyance I had had with the previous
spec file -- one must hand-edit it to build it.

> Thanks for all your hard work in getting this working with gcc3.2. I'll be
> working on compiling my own static libs for qt and kde again in the hopes
> that an static version my be able to be done. for the whole thing and not
> just sword. Again thanks for the hard work.

At this point a statically linked executable might need to static link glibc
too.  And it will need to be compiled with more than one gcc.  Not to mention
dealing with the various places KDE gets put.  Unfortunately LSB isn't
forceful enough to standardize the locations of these things -- and of course
each distribution thinks its way is the right way. :-)

If you want to work in that direction, and don't mind me working towards
editless spec files, I believe that may be a good division of labor.  If you
desire such, of course.  AFAIK we both have cvs commit privileges, which I
have not yet used.

PostgreSQL 7.3 is in beta, so I'm going to be in an RPM-building mode in the
next few weeks anyway, so I might be able to do more in this area then.

In no case do I want you to think I'm trying to step into your role -- jus
trying to help out a project that I personally use (quite alot -- I haven't
upgraded my laptop to Red Hat 8 because I haven't yet built BibleTime on
it.....and the laptop is my work/home study machine, with the Ultra 10 being
in my home office).

> ps: On a side note I have finally figured out how to use cvs correctly and
> checkout, commit, etc. So I would be more than happy to commit my spec
> changes to cvs if any body would like.

Please do.  CVS is designed to allow multideveloper collaboration in that way.

> Also I know I have been scarce arround here for a long time. I hope to
> chagne that here soon. Thanks.

Hope you are able to swing it too -- same here.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio