[bt-devel] Fwd: bibletime

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:58:44 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Gruner" <mg.pub@gmx.net>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [bt-devel] Fwd: bibletime
> > If we are dependant on a specific release level of sword, IMHO we should
> > consider providing snapshots.  For example, sword is currently at 1.65,
but
> > we stipulate version 1.52 (I'm not sure if this matters).
>
> How did you find the 1.65? The latest official release of sword was 1.51a,
> and the cvs version is between that and 1.52. Bibletime does not work with
> 1.51a, and 1.52 is not out yet. Yes we should provide 1.52, but only as a
> .tar.gz file, because a rpm is unnecessary.

I used anonymous cvs from their site, and this is what cvs called the
release
I downloaded (unless I've completely lost my mind.... where was that thing
again?)  :-)  I'm more comfortable with rpm, only because the "normal"
path information is written down in one concise format.

> > I would also suggest that we should also provide a base set of modules
> > (as well as any required fonts) as well with the expressly
> > stated purpose to "get you up and running as quickly as possible".
Perhaps
> > the sword team can give us download stats to determine what should be
> > in the common set?
> >
> > We then can provide them with good documentation on how to:
> > i) locate/download/install/configure additional modules, and
> > ii) locate/download/install/configure recommended fonts for modules in
i).

> Well. ;)  Crosswire offers the modules as rpms on ftp.crosswire.org.
> Users can now just install the bibletime rpm and the desired module rpms
and
> everything should be fine. (Somebody should test this before 1.0 ;)
> Fonts are another issue, you are right. We should have some tutorial on
this,
> but before we must fix the annoying bug.

It wasn't too apparent to a greenhorn like me.  All I could find are
.zips or windoze .exe.  The .zips assume I know where to unzip them.
Perhaps
if I read the docs a little more carefully that would help. ;-) But
I'm trying to be a 'typical' user.  Where are the rpms on crosswire?

> > This would then position us to be able to automate these tasks (ith
> > dialogues in v1.1) to give the user a checklist of modules to pull
> > down from the sword ftp site.
>
> This is what Joachim wanted. A nice dialog as a frontend to ftp...
> But providing well-designed rpms is better and easier imo. Just
> install/deinstall the modules you want. Should be the easiest way to go.
> What do you think?

RPMs have the advantage of a 'normal' path, but are ignorant of the
prefix override the sysadmin used to install bibletime/sword.  However,
when we are running, all these things are known and give a slightly
higher degree of robustness.  RPMs are always a distribution option
available.  But an ftp dialogue would be very slick and would probably
have less support costs.

> > If we merge a specific release of sword into bibletime by static link,
> > then we can forego the sword rpm,  but I would still suggest we consider
> > providing the other co-requisites to make bibletime usable from install
> > time.
>
> Yes. We could offer some of the most basic module rpms for download. But
that
> might be confusing for users, they could think "are these all modules
> crosswire offers?". We should rather point the users to the proper
download
> place.

True enough, except when the module dialogue is present.

> Another issue: the rpm and installmgr standards should be synchronized
(are
> they already?) so that you can install modules via rpm and/or sword cd.
There