[bt-devel] Fwd: bibletime

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 20:49:24 +0200

Hi Tim,

> If we are dependant on a specific release level of sword, IMHO we should
> consider providing snapshots.  For example, sword is currently at 1.65, but
> we stipulate version 1.52 (I'm not sure if this matters).

How did you find the 1.65? The latest official release of sword was 1.51a,
and the cvs version is between that and 1.52. Bibletime does not work with
1.51a, and 1.52 is not out yet. Yes we should provide 1.52, but only as a
.tar.gz file, because a rpm is unnecessary.

> I would also suggest that we should also provide a base set of modules
> (as well as any required fonts) as well with the expressly
> stated purpose to "get you up and running as quickly as possible". Perhaps
> the sword team can give us download stats to determine what should be
> in the common set?
>
> We then can provide them with good documentation on how to:
> i) locate/download/install/configure additional modules, and
> ii) locate/download/install/configure recommended fonts for modules in i).

Well. ;)  Crosswire offers the modules as rpms on ftp.crosswire.org.
Users can now just install the bibletime rpm and the desired module rpms and
everything should be fine. (Somebody should test this before 1.0 ;)
Fonts are another issue, you are right. We should have some tutorial on this,
but before we must fix the annoying bug.

> This would then position us to be able to automate these tasks (ith
> dialogues in v1.1) to give the user a checklist of modules to pull
> down from the sword ftp site.

This is what Joachim wanted. A nice dialog as a frontend to ftp...
But providing well-designed rpms is better and easier imo. Just
install/deinstall the modules you want. Should be the easiest way to go.
What do you think?

> If we merge a specific release of sword into bibletime by static link,
> then we can forego the sword rpm,  but I would still suggest we consider
> providing the other co-requisites to make bibletime usable from install
> time.

Yes. We could offer some of the most basic module rpms for download. But that
might be confusing for users, they could think "are these all modules
crosswire offers?". We should rather point the users to the proper download
place.
Another issue: the rpm and installmgr standards should be synchronized (are
they already?) so that you can install modules via rpm and/or sword cd. There
might stilll be problems (install a module via rpm & uninstall via installmgr
-> it is still registered in the rpm database).

Martin