[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 21:11:41 +0200

> You can cram about 700MB on a CD these days.  With KDE2 you really need
> 64MB of ram to work well, which means you'd need to have another 64MB of
> ram to implement a writable directory tree to unpack some modules into. The
> question is how many 128mb pentium class machines are out there? Although
> by designing to kde2 you have already pushed the end user to a larger
> machine (somewhat).  I wonder if kde2 could run in 32mb of ram (for demo
> purposes) leaving 32mb for a ram disk?  There's a lot larger install base
> of 64mb machines out there.

This would not be necessary. The modules dir would not have to be writable;
the modules yould just be put on cd into special directories. No ramdisk
necessary. My question was how much space will be left on the cd after
putting linux/X/qt/kde2 on it?

> However, your second idea is also very good; you'd just need a special
> start up script on the cd to establish the environment.  Most machines
> can do xvga these days, which is probably enough (1024x768) to give
> bibletime justice.  Perhaps we can test a script to try some loads
> of various x-servers.  Wouldn't you need to restart a new x-server,
> since we are using XFree86 v4 for the desktop (we couldn't really count
> on the end user being at that level)?

I'd rather have X not compiled in statically. This way the bibletime with kde
and qt compiled in would just connect to the existing and running x-server
like any other x application would. Users can use the x version they want and
have it configured properly.
Brook, what do you think? Is creating sich a binary possible? What about
icons, config files etc? We could also try to compile icons in (that's
possible) by special #ifdefs, only when compiling statically. Joachim?

Martin