[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 May 2001 11:09:21 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Gruner" <mg.pub@gmx.net>
To: <bt-devel@crosswire.org>

> > You can cram about 700MB on a CD these days.  With KDE2 you really need
> > 64MB of ram to work well, which means you'd need to have another 64MB of
> > ram to implement a writable directory tree to unpack some modules into.
The
> > question is how many 128mb pentium class machines are out there?
Although
> > by designing to kde2 you have already pushed the end user to a larger
> > machine (somewhat).  I wonder if kde2 could run in 32mb of ram (for demo
> > purposes) leaving 32mb for a ram disk?  There's a lot larger install
base
> > of 64mb machines out there.
>
> This would not be necessary. The modules dir would not have to be
writable;
> the modules yould just be put on cd into special directories. No ramdisk
> necessary. My question was how much space will be left on the cd after
> putting linux/X/qt/kde2 on it?

Well, a fully functional linux firewall can fit on a floppy.  And I've seen
pretty functional bootable CD's in 70 or 80 MB.  I don't think it would
be difficult (at first blush) creating bootable demo CD.  The issue is more
from a gaining of 'market share' perspective than from a practical one.
I don't think you could (or should) provide a fully blown BibleTime/Sword
CD that will install on many platforms.

It's just to demonstrate (without affecting the prospective user) what
we can do (regardless of platform) and why they should acquire BibleTime.
Whether they are living in the windoze world or linux is besides the
point. Also, with a smaller .iso image, you'd have more downloads from
prospective users as well.

Tim