[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 14:53:09 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Gruner" <mg.pub@gmx.net>
To: <bt-devel@crosswire.org>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: [bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

> > The CD is not only for BibleTime, it's the general Sword CD so making a
> > bootable CD would not so good because it can be also used on Windows.
>
> I like the idea of a bootable cd. How much space would be left fot
> sword/bt/modules if kde2/qt/X/standard libs are already on there? Can X be
> really preconfigured for any kind of monitor/vga?
>
> Maybe a good way inbetween would be to make a bibletime with kde/qt
(/X???)
> compiled in and place it in the root of the sword cd? It would then not be
> bootable but would work on most of the distributions. It should be done in
> way that all the modules on cd are used when starting bibletime.
>
> What do you think? (Tim, Joachim, others)

You can cram about 700MB on a CD these days.  With KDE2 you really need
64MB of ram to work well, which means you'd need to have another 64MB of ram
to implement a writable directory tree to unpack some modules into.
The question is how many 128mb pentium class machines are out there?
Although by designing to kde2 you have already pushed the end user
to a larger machine (somewhat).  I wonder if kde2 could run in 32mb
of ram (for demo purposes) leaving 32mb for a ram disk?  There's a lot
larger install base of 64mb machines out there.

However, your second idea is also very good; you'd just need a special
start up script on the cd to establish the environment.  Most machines
can do xvga these days, which is probably enough (1024x768) to give
bibletime justice.  Perhaps we can test a script to try some loads
of various x-servers.  Wouldn't you need to restart a new x-server,
since we are using XFree86 v4 for the desktop (we couldn't really count
on the end user being at that level)?

Regards... Tim