[bt-devel] rpms

Brook Humphrey bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 8 May 2001 13:03:37 -0700

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 11:11 am, you wrote:
> > Maybe I was not clear enough my bibletime rpm's make thier own
> > sword.conf. So this is already taken care of.
>
> Do they check if there is already a sword.conf on the system of just write
> rightaway?

no at this time it does not check to see if sword.conf is already there but
that would be easy enough to add.

> Did you include this somewhere in the bibletime.spec file? We should try to
> have the rpms in a standardized way, also the ones created by other people.

I try to make the rpm's standard for each distro they are built for. That is
to say mandrake, caldera, redhat, suse, etc. all do things a little different
but with only small modifications to the spec it can be set up to build
easily on all these systems. So in that respect by making my spec file in
this way it lessens the amount of time to produce rpm's for each system.

> If there are important things one has to be aware of, it would be nice if
> you could write a short tutorial on creating rpms for bibletime and post it
> on sourceforge (doc->submit new documentation), so that people joining the
> project will be able to learn quickly and efficiently.

No this is not so much an issue. As building rpm's for bibletime is actually
easy but when you start to add in static build and file generation it takes a
little more time to get it going but all in all it's still an easy build.

Sword on the other hand is more involved.