[bt-devel] rpms

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 05 May 2001 07:52:50 -0400

Martin Gruner wrote:

> Some ideas on conventions concerning rpm creation:
>
> >From 1.0 on we should
> -always compile sword in statically (but not call the rpm "static", which
> could be confusing [users do not know what is compiled in statically, qt,
> kde, sword, ...])
> -give detailed names to the rpms indicating their target distribution better
> (e.g. mandrake_8 instead of mdk, redhat_7 instead of rh, ...)
> -provide no sword rpms. that should be done on the sword project page
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sword
> (Brook, I'll add you to the project there. It would be good to offer the
> module rpms there, categorized after module types and languages. Agreed?)

This results in simpler install, but the instructions will be a lot different
than they are now.  Will KDE desktop integration be in the RPM?  Can we take
care of etc/ld.so.conf and sword.conf during the install?  This would further
simplify things for users that have beginning knowledge of Linux.

> Just proposals. Please comment.
>
> May I remind you that after the 1.0 release we want to take a development
> break and have a time of promotion. Could you please make proposals on what
> we could do therefore (slashdot article(?), newsforge etc.) and who could do
> it?

After 1.0 I will shortly have the documentation fixed.  Do we want to issue it
as a patch?  or wait for the next release?

--
Best Regards
Fred Saalbach