[bt-devel] ideas

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:41:57 +0100

Hi Joachim,

> > Before we release 1.0, one thing I would want: we should implement
> > parallel viewing of
> > a) bible passages (best solution: html tables -- similar to bibleworksop)
> > b) commentary entries (also?? -- view several commentaries in parallel)
> > c) lexicon entries (same??)
>
> This should be possible.
> Select several modules in the groupmanager ans RMB->New presenter?
> Or in another way?

I thought there should be a button on the presenter toolbar (a combobox)
where you can set the _current module_ (and change it!). Then there could be
another button on the right of the 1st combobox like ("add module" or just
">"). If you click this button, another combobox will be added where you can
set the _second_ module that will be displayed in parallel with the first
one. It should also be possible to remove the last combobox again.
Did you understand this?

> > It should be possible to synchronize (former autoscroll button)
> > a) a commentary presenter to a bible presenter (current key)
> > b) a lexicon presenter to
> >  1) words that were highlighted(and right-clicked),
> >       clicked or maybe just mouse moved over?
> >  2) strong numbers
>
> How should we syncronize modules?

i forgot d) a bible presenter to a bible resenter (the same for commentaries
and lexicons.

_Maybe_ the presenters should get names (or just numbers). Then we could have
a button "synchronize with..." and select the desired presenter. We should
hava some object handling this (what happens if you delete presenters?).

> Will be very hard, but maybe possible.
> I'll give my best.

I know. Thank you.

> > Please comment everybody, especially those who are not coding! What
> > features would you like to see?
>
> Yes, otherwise you won't get them.
> After 1.0 I'll take a break and won't work so much on BibleTime, probably
> only bug fixes.
> That's why I spend _lot's_ of time and it's sometimes depressing that there
> are so many users and almost no programmers.
> Another reason is that I sit too much in front of my computer, this isn't
> very healthy. I don't want to get backache.
> After the break I'll continue, but I'll spend less time on BT.

I agree. Maybe you should concentrate on Project management then? IMO 1.0
will be quite wide-known, and we could build some call for developers into
the program (about...). Then you might only have to coordinate the efforts.

> These are the reason why 1.0 should be almost perfect, bugfree and easy to
> use and install for _everybody_.

Agreed. And advertised.

> Please comment or you won't get your features.
>
> > Maybe we need a place (website) to collect feature requests from users?
>
> Yes, should be possible.
> At the moment I'm learning Perl, I'll use it as exercise (If I find some
> time).

Maybe you should wait until 1.0?

Martin