[bt-devel] proposal

bt-devel@crosswire.org bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:44:36 GMT

Joachim Ansorg writes:

<Valuable comments by Joachim and Martin snipped to save room>

> Hehe, if we'd do it, who would spend $1500 each year to pay the license
> fees  to trolltech?
>
> If we'd switch toQt we have to change these things:
> 	-Drop XML stuff
> 	-Install dialog will be very hard because we'd have to write our own
> network management code
> 	-Integration in KDE is lost
> 	-Lots of small things will go (i18n(), SmallIocn(), LargeIcon(),
>  ... ,  klistview, the KPopupMenu, )
> 	-We have to change all the dialogs (almost all use KDialogBase and
> KDE widgets)
> 	-Port KDE partly, at least the widgets we need to Qt and Windows
>
> Somebody would have to buy Qt and a compiler ...
>
> Is it really worth it?

Yes.

We could move to QT only for Linux (and other free platforms) and once
completed get the appropriate licensing for QT for the platforms that cost
money.  This would only have to be done if there was enough interest in a
Windows (or other paid QT) version to supply the funding to make the
appropriate purchases.

I think that what the world needs is NOT a Linux version of Bible software,
but a cross platform version of Bible software.  One that provides basic
Bible Study functionality to all platforms.  For the true scholars, let
them pick their platform based on the software available, at least until we
catch up with the commercial products.

I do believe that if a new direction is taken, it should be done after
version 1.0 is released in order to not just discard the hard work that you
have done so far.  A Linux version is needed in the near term, I just
disagree that limiting the product to Linux long term is a good idea,
because it reduces the number of people that could benefit from the hard
work.

Actually, I am not even locked into QT as a library.  I think that any
cross platform library that provides the basic functionality needed for a
world class Bible study program would be acceptable.  QT is just one
library that  I am aware of now...

--
   Darwin Gregory

   Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
   Evolution is a myth...