[bt-devel] proposal

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 02:17:11 +0000

Hi Darwin!

> > Is it really worth it?
>
> Yes.
>
> We could move to QT only for Linux (and other free platforms) and once
> completed get the appropriate licensing for QT for the platforms that cost
> money.  This would only have to be done if there was enough interest in a
> Windows (or other paid QT) version to supply the funding to make the
> appropriate purchases.
>
> I think that what the world needs is NOT a Linux version of Bible software,
> but a cross platform version of Bible software.  One that provides basic
> Bible Study functionality to all platforms.  For the true scholars, let
> them pick their platform based on the software available, at least until we
> catch up with the commercial products.
>
> I do believe that if a new direction is taken, it should be done after
> version 1.0 is released in order to not just discard the hard work that you
> have done so far.  A Linux version is needed in the near term, I just
> disagree that limiting the product to Linux long term is a good idea,
> because it reduces the number of people that could benefit from the hard
> work.
>
> Actually, I am not even locked into QT as a library.  I think that any
> cross platform library that provides the basic functionality needed for a
> world class Bible study program would be acceptable.  QT is just one
> library that  I am aware of now...

I don't want to rewrite all the stuff for another lib.
And don't forget I'm Linux only and hate windows (I've thrown it away).

This is not a simple discussion. I myself want to continue for Linux becasuse
I personally like KDE and find Qt and KDE a very good environment. Qt alone
looks somehow "poor" without the KDE2 styles, the cool filedialogs etc.
And Windows is a stupid OS I dislike.

--Joachim