[bt-devel] proposal

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:21:21 +0000

Hi Martin!

> Hi,
>
> this may be stupid again.

No!

> Anyway, I suggest aiming at a windows port of bt.
> We would have to move towards QT instead of kde. AFAIK the classes we use
> from kde can be substituted by qt classes with some additions. Or am I
> wrong

Hehe, if we'd do it, who would spend $1500 each year to pay the license fees
to trolltech?
Basically it's possible, but we made BibleTime as a KDE and as a Linux
application from the first day because in Linux there was no Bible program
for Linux.
For windows there are so many bible study tools so we have probably no chnace
to get some marke tshare.

> here? Printing is almost platform independent yet, and I will create the
> key chooser widget in QT. We would have to lose some of the UI stuff like
> xml ui generation, but that is IMO not as important as the possibilities of
> a widows port of bt...

If we'd switch toQt we have to change these things:
	-Drop XML stuff
	-Install dialog will be very hard because we'd have to write our own network
management code
	-Integration in KDE is lost
	-Lots of small things will go (i18n(), SmallIocn(), LargeIcon(), ... ,
klistview, the KPopupMenu, )
	-We have to change all the dialogs (almost all use KDialogBase and KDE
widgets)
	-Port KDE partly, at least the widgets we need to Qt and Windows

Somebody would have to buy Qt and a compiler ...

Is it really worth it?

--Joachim