[bt-devel] [Fwd: BorCon, Qt license]

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:02:20 +0000

Hi!

> I suggest that we hesitate and rest a moment and think about this decision.
> You may be surprised about me saying this, but I thought about these
> matters, and I looked at the sword windows program which seems better that
> I first thought. Very good work.

> The main question now is: Should we port?
> pro:
> would be usable for many more people than now

Yes, Linux users asked already for a Windows frontend. If Sword is cross
plattform why not BibleTime?

> con:
> work for porting

Ok, maybe lots of work. But Qt simplifies it (QAction etc.).

> no kde classes

Without KDE BibleTime will be faster

> license fee - every year

Wrong, if you'd read the mails Troy send you'd see that we have to pay it
only once. Updates are cheaper and we don't have to buy them.

> Let us consider this well.
> -IMO it would only be senseful if the efforts of the sword program and
> bibletime would be united.

Mmh, see below.

> -Maybe it would not be necessary because the sword program will be
> developed well and continuous.

I think we shoud port because users send very often mails to me saying they
like BibleTime's structure better than the interface of te Windows interface.
Other people like you like the Win interface of Troy better.
On Linux we do have also more than one Interface, users can choose the best
for them.

> If we decide to port, my suggestions:
> -open a bank account for the development of bibletime
> -all offerings and cd payments go there
>  -we need publicity!

Yes!

> -only one developer will have the windows qt license
>  -that yould only be Joachim, I can't say for sure I'll have the time

Ok.

>  -we could use the recent cygwin

Hm, I'm not really sure if Cygwin is supported by Qt. Otherwise we can use
the free Borland compilers or buy some old bur recent C++ compilers (Borland
/ Inprise, Microsoft).

>  -we need some install software (Installshield?)

Yes. There are lots of cheap or free ones available.

> Martin

--Joachim