[bt-devel] [Fwd: BorCon, Qt license]

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:11:27 +0100

On Donnerstag,  2. November 2000 21:02, you wrote:
> > The main question now is: Should we port?
> > pro:
> > would be usable for many more people than now
>
> Yes, Linux users asked already for a Windows frontend. If Sword is cross
> plattform why not BibleTime?
>
> > con:
> > work for porting
>
> Ok, maybe lots of work. But Qt simplifies it (QAction etc.).
>
> > no kde classes
>
> Without KDE BibleTime will be faster
>
> > license fee - every year
>
> Wrong, if you'd read the mails Troy send you'd see that we have to pay it
> only once. Updates are cheaper and we don't have to buy them.

I'd suggest you read it again ;)
I cite:
Please note that Qt is sold including 12 months of support and free upgrades.
Should you not wish to renew the support and upgrades subscription you are
still free to use Qt for as long as you wish, but will not be eligible to
receive support and upgrades.

IMO it is a per-year fee, if we want to stay up to date with the qt version.

> > Let us consider this well.
> > -IMO it would only be senseful if the efforts of the sword program and
> > bibletime would be united.
>
> Mmh, see below.
>
> > -Maybe it would not be necessary because the sword program will be
> > developed well and continuous.
>
> I think we shoud port because users send very often mails to me saying they
> like BibleTime's structure better than the interface of te Windows
> interface. Other people like you like the Win interface of Troy better.

Hey! Don't be angry! I did nowhere say better, I only said it is good.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

> On Linux we do have also more than one Interface, users can choose the best
> for them.

> > -only one developer will have the windows qt license
> >  -that yould only be Joachim, I can't say for sure I'll have the time
>
> Ok.
>
> >  -we could use the recent cygwin
>
> Hm, I'm not really sure if Cygwin is supported by Qt. Otherwise we can use
> the free Borland compilers or buy some old bur recent C++ compilers
> (Borland / Inprise, Microsoft).

Try to install the cygwin from the sword cd for testing. It does contain many
tools
we'd need (make...) to keep the existing make process. I think it would be
the easiest solution. bt should not split into a windowa and a linux version
which might happen if we used another compiler system.
You will need to update cygwin, though.

Martin