[bt-devel] Imprtant Makefile change

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 31 May 2000 18:30:02 +0000

Hi Darwin and the rest of the group ;-)

You wrote on Mit, 31 Mai 2000:
>Hi Joachim, and the rest of the group!
>
>I have been unable to compile since I rebuilt my system last week using
>RedHat 6.2, but I think the problems are unrelated to that change, and
>could potentially be related to this change that Jopachim forwarded.

Perhaps ;-)

>First, I have no clue how to compile the new stuff, but I finally got to
>the point where I was told to grab another KDE package via CVSUP (I don't
>have the message in front of me) and to link a file in admin to the current
>directory.  Well, I am behind a Proxy, so CVSUP is not an option, and the
>snapshots don't have the module the instructions says to install, and when
>I download the kdeadmin snapshot (the likely snapshot to find admin/*).  It
>won't compile.

Ok. I forgot to send a message telling everybody how to compile.

To compile BibleTime do:

First update your CVS because I added the admin directory now to the repository. You don't have to link it.

cd <BIbleTime 0.3 directory>
#recreate configure etc.
#export KDEDIR and QTDIR
export QTDIR=<QT 2.1 sourec directory> KDEDIR=<KDE2 source directory>
make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure #run configure etc. look at the speed of makefile generation
make #compile
make install #install

>I hate to whine, but I have spent more time on this project trying to
>figure out how to accomodate other people's changes than I have actually
>coding.  Could we perhaps develop a process, or a document that would cover
>what changes are taking place that impact the ability to compile?

Yes, a good idea. But where should we put this document?
VERY GOOD NEWS: The libs of KDE2 will be hard frozen today and will be released wednesday
This means you normally don't have to get all the time new KDE2 libs etc. . hard frozen means no binary incompatible
change will be applied unless KDE2 won't run without it.

>All I can tell for sure is that running ./configure doesn't seem to be
>required any more, as it isn't there, although all of the files that I
>thought were input files to configure are still there, and that this new
>message is showing up.

It's generated using "make -f Makefile.cvs" which executes "aclocal (creates confiure)" and some other commands.

>I am feeling that what little effort I am able to spend is wasted with too
>many "housekeeping" chores to keep myself able to compile.

Sorry!
Next time I commit a bigger Makefile change or something else I'll post better instructions.
And hard frozen libs will (hopefully) be usable until KDE2 final (only bug fixes).

--Joachim

--
BibleTime - the bible study program for KDE
http://www.bibletime.de/