[bt-devel] Printing

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:58:45 +0000

Hi!

As I said before the next major thing should be printing. It looks like I
have to do it (no other volunteers ;-(

My ideas for the printing system:
-----------------------

Main things:
---------
-We should use an own printing dialog which supports our special features

-We should print as PostScript using Qt's printing classes
We should support normal actions like "Printo to file", "Select printer",
"Select paper size", "Orientation of paper" , "Number of copies", "Range of
pages to print", "border etc." etc. We could/should use the code of the Qt
lib to implement the basic things already in the Qt's own printing dialog.

Features:
-------
-Formatting styles
Chris had this very good idea! Formatting rules are good, loading and saving
them to disk too.
	o Use of colours
	o Use of different fonts, their size and text styles (bold, italic,
	underlined etc.) for the text of the heading, body and footers.
	o Ability to select how Strong numbers are handled (style, size, colour of
	strongnumbers)
	o Ability to select how footnotes are handled (style, size, colour of
	footnotes)
	o Chris suggested images. Chris how / where should images be used in
	printing?
	o Ability to select if you want to have the text verse-by-verse or
 	"floating" text
	o Ability to select different styles of headings and footers (like in 0.2)

-Preview mode
	In the preview mode some PS viewer should be opened (like in 0.2x)
-your suggestions

Please comment on this! Printing is a major part of BibleTime! We need your
suggestions NOW to implement the features _you _ like.

Thanks!
--Joachim