re [bt-devel] Next steps...1.0

Jeffrey Hoyt bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:17:03 -0400

Plugin support:
I would think that would be more useful to display maps, books, than things
like games.  For the life of me, I can't imagine several crumb-crunchers in a
church classroom gathered around a CRT playing Bible-crossword! ;-)

KPart support:
IMHO, this is a good idea, to a certain extent.  I could forsee using a
"stripped-down" version of KWord to do all text-processing in BT.  This would
include Personal Commentary, sermons, etc.  If it is possible to scale down
KWord, it wouldn't need the advanced formatting features.  Just the basic
paragraph, font, and maybe frame and column formatting.  This would make a
really light-weight, very fast text processor.  Maybe somebody's already done
this.

A sermon backend:
See above for initial ideas.  In addition, I think every preacher formats his
sermons differently. :-)  I use two columns, landscape page orientation, on
standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper.  I also use the standard *B* /I/ _U_, and some
special characters.  For Bible study classes I use frames in addition to the
above.

I would recommend this as a KPart component, and integrated as a window
(presenter) in the MDI window.  I'm not sure how else to integrate it in a way
that would be consistent with BT design.  Maybe KWord's toolbar could float,
or dock into the main toolbar of BT.

I don't think embeddable links within a sermon would do me that much good,
unless I take my PC up to preach!  ;-)

Jeff

| http://jhoyt.faithweb.com |
   Don't be conservative.