[bt-devel] Feature plan

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 13:23:22 +0000

Hi!

After the last discussions on this list here's a small summary and my
decisions what to put in the different releases:

Release 0.3:
---------
-bug fixes for:
	o Drag&Drop: If you drag a module ina edit widget the whole chapter of
	"Genesis 1" is inserted. The type of Drah should be checked (and it should
	be denied if it's a wrong type)

	o Searchdialog: Some problems with the search analysis (my part)

	o Commentary presenter, the combo vboxes are not refreshed if you drag a
	verse reference on it (my part, maybe a backend bug)

	o Put a QWhatsThis help on every widget

-new features: Don't know whats we should put in 0.3 as new features
-Release date:
	I think we should release it when the bugs are fixed, not in two weeks.
That's too long.

Release 0.4:
---------
Release 0.4 is the next release after 0.3. It shouldn't take half a year as
0.3 did ;-)

-New features of 0.4:
	o Printing: Really necessary for a real usage of BibleTime. Should use a
	good layouted printdialog (like the oe in 0.2) and should support useful
	features. The features need discussion.

	o Module installer dialog: IMHO it's useful because lots  of newbies ahve
	problems with bash and it's commands (setting permissions, using groups,
	unpacking, configuration of SWORD etc.). This will hopefuly reduce the
	support mails.

	o Some improvements of the searchdialog:
		- Better layout
		- Maybe reg-exp widget
		- Improvements to the search analysis (e.g. drawing to an image and scroll
		the image)

-Things that have to be discussed for 0.4:
	o Plugin support
	This is useful for future extensions of BibleTime

	o KParts supports
	Use presenters as KParts. Together with plugin support this could introduce
	user-made presenters or easy extandibilty of BibleTime if new moduletypes
	are introduced. Memory-Saving because they are only loaded at runtme if they
	are required.  Not sure if it's really useful.

	o Threading: We should try to tread BibleTime so it's usable even ehilw
	searching

	o Sermon backend
	Will improve usability. But it's not SWORD related so it may break
	standards.
	Has somebody tested GNOMESword ? I was unable to compile it. Doesn't it have
	something like a sermon part?

As you can see we have some nice ideas and things to do for 0.4. But we need
discussions to improve usability and usage of these features. Otherwise we
would break the usability of BT!

-Important things:
	o Would you use these things ?
	o How would you improve them for best usability?
	o What's missing in the feature list for 0.3 / 0.4 ?

Please post your comments!

--Joachim