[bt-devel] Feature plan

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:20:29 +0200

Hi everybody,

Am Die, 04 Jul 2000 schrieb Joachim Ansorg:
> Hi!
>
> After the last discussions on this list here's a small summary and my
> decisions what to put in the different releases:
>
> Release 0.3:
> ---------
> -bug fixes for:
> 	o Drag&Drop: If you drag a module ina edit widget the whole chapter of
> 	"Genesis 1" is inserted. The type of Drah should be checked (and it should
> 	be denied if it's a wrong type)
I don't understand this. Now only the first verse is inserted. Should the
whole chapter be inserted? Why? And which chapter?
What type of drag should be denied?

> 	o Searchdialog: Some problems with the search analysis (my part)
>
> 	o Commentary presenter, the combo vboxes are not refreshed if you drag a
> 	verse reference on it (my part, maybe a backend bug)
>
> 	o Put a QWhatsThis help on every widget
Good! though i didn't manage to see the tips.

> -new features: Don't know whats we should put in 0.3 as new features
> -Release date:
> 	I think we should release it when the bugs are fixed, not in two weeks.
> That's too long.
>

> Release 0.4:
> ---------
> Release 0.4 is the next release after 0.3. It shouldn't take half a year as
> 0.3 did ;-)
>
> -New features of 0.4:
> 	o Printing: Really necessary for a real usage of BibleTime. Should use a
> 	good layouted printdialog (like the oe in 0.2) and should support useful
> 	features. The features need discussion.
Yes!

> 	o Module installer dialog: IMHO it's useful because lots  of newbies ahve
> 	problems with bash and it's commands (setting permissions, using groups,
> 	unpacking, configuration of SWORD etc.). This will hopefuly reduce the
> 	support mails.
Good. Too difficult for me.

> 	o Some improvements of the searchdialog:
> 		- Better layout
> 		- Maybe reg-exp widget
> 		- Improvements to the search analysis (e.g. drawing to an image and
> scroll the image)
Good. I suggest displaying solid bars.

> -Things that have to be discussed for 0.4:
> 	o Plugin support
> 	This is useful for future extensions of BibleTime
ok. needs a perfect interface.

> 	o KParts supports
> 	Use presenters as KParts. Together with plugin support this could
> introduce user-made presenters or easy extandibilty of BibleTime if new
> moduletypes are introduced. Memory-Saving because they are only loaded at
> runtme if they are required.  Not sure if it's really useful.
It would be useful, but might turn out to be very difficult.

> 	o Threading: We should try to tread BibleTime so it's usable even ehilw
> 	searching
That would be my part - at least to try it. I didn't get an answer in
sword-devel to my question if sword is thread safe yet.

> 	o Sermon backend
> 	Will improve usability. But it's not SWORD related so it may break
> 	standards.
> 	Has somebody tested GNOMESword ? I was unable to compile it. Doesn't it
> have something like a sermon part?
That might be one with the kparts. could be done as the first plugin - since
it is not sword related.

btw, there are still problems with the backend (strong numbers, ...) I'll
look at this and inform you.

> As you can see we have some nice ideas and things to do for 0.4. But we
> need discussions to improve usability and usage of these features.
> Otherwise we would break the usability of BT!
>
> -Important things:
> 	o Would you use these things ?
> 	o How would you improve them for best usability?
> 	o What's missing in the feature list for 0.3 / 0.4 ?
>

> Please post your comments!
>
> --Joachim

Martin