[bt-devel] The design of the BackEnd

Torsten Uhlmann bt-devel@crosswire.org
16 Jan 2000 20:19:19 +0100

    > Hi!
    >> > Hi Torsten!  Sorry for being late.

    >> the >> files in it will be the data that can be accessed via a
    >> key (file >> name). So for instance a directory with audio
    >> sermons or maps can >> be shown and if the user clicks on one the
    >> data will be presented >> in the right way- managed be the
    >> ModuleInfo class.
    >>
    >> > Perhaps I misunderstood you but I think we should present the
    >> data > using a module presenter of the GUI which uses the right >
    >> C*ModuleInfo class. Perhaps the module presenter for directories
    >> > should contain a tree like structure to represent the
    >> directory.
    >>
    >> You misunderstood me :) I don't want to create modules nor do I
    >> want do display data. The backend is all about presenting the
    >> data from the disc to the GUI. Now the GUI could handle all the
    >> different module types itself but then we had no separation
    >> between GUI and backend.  A CDirectoryModuleInfo will thus not
    >> display the data but prepare it, get it from disc retrieve info
    >> about in order to be displayed by the right presenter.

    > Mmh, how could a directory be prepared for the presenter?

It could for instance be HTML with a link for each file. But as discuss
this you may be right. To be conform with our approach we would not need
a DirectoryInfo but a FileInfo, e.g. a module for each file that should
be presented. The FileInfo will then take care of how to present the
module. Yes I think this is better. But it does not change the overall
approach, just a detail.

    >> > An other way coud be to present the directory in a Directory >
    >> presenter and after choosing some data the right module presenter
    >> > will be shown (maps, sermons etc.).
    >>
    >> > But I think we should'nt create own module like maps or sermons
    >> > for our own, we should only use SWORD ones.
    >>
    >> We won't create modules as SWORD modules. But we need some view
    >> on the data, some universal view. And since SWORD uses modules
    >> which is smart I think we should look at the BibleTime world as
    >> of modules we want to work with, no matter what there real
    >> representation is on disc. May it be a text file, and audio file,
    >> a jpeg,... or a directory. We need to put those different types
    >> in a common scheme...

    > Mmh, this is IMO against using the module presenters or how would
    > you integrate the different views in the module presenters?

There needs to be one presenter class for one type of data to be
presented. One for HTML, one for maps, I can't think of more. We
probably will present maps with an external prog. for now, so we now
only need the HTML presenter class.

    >> > Since I have now a running KDE2 and QT2 and since the backend
    >> and > GUI are being dicussed IMO it's time to begin coding for
    >> 0.3.
    >>
    >> Yes, please do so. But would you please send along the design of
    >> the classes you want to use? I would like to discuss them
    >> too. I've got a few ideas I want to share but I'm sure you have
    >> an even clearer view of what you wanna accomplish. So would you
    >> please write this down.

    > Ok!  I'll post it the next time in this list.  One cool thing: The
    > KDE guys made a new Menubar. Now it's possible to have the
    > MDI-icons in the menubar like in MS-Office or in every win-app.  I
    > think we use QextMDI.

I thought we agreed on QWorkspace. What is the advantage of QextMDI in
your eyes?

    >> But we have an bug in 0.22 (see SWORD-support). I think we need
    >> to find and eliminate it and bring out a bug fix since it will
    >> take a bit of time till 0.3 is ready.

    > Yes! 0.2 is supposed to be updated from time to time if bugs occur
    > or if new languages are added.

The bug is in SWORD and/or the Torrey module. I mailed it to sword-devel.

--

best regards,
Torsten Uhlmann

TUhlmann@gmx.de