[bt-devel] The design of the BackEnd

bt-devel@crosswire.org bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:52:55 +0000

Hi!

>    > Hi Torsten!  Sorry for being late.
>
>    > You wrote:
>
>    >> CDirectoryModuleInfo will look at a directory as a module and the
>    >> files in it will be the data that can be accessed via a key (file
>    >> name). So for instance a directory with audio sermons or maps can
>    >> be shown and if the user clicks on one the data will be presented
>    >> in the right way- managed be the ModuleInfo class.
>
>    > Perhaps I misunderstood you but I think we should present the data
>    > using a module presenter of the GUI which uses the right
>    > C*ModuleInfo class. Perhaps the module presenter for directories
>    > should contain a tree like structure to represent the directory.
>
>You misunderstood me :)
>I don't want to create modules nor do I want do display data. The
>backend is all about presenting the data from the disc to the GUI. Now
>the GUI could handle all the different module types itself but then we
>had no separation between GUI and backend.
>A CDirectoryModuleInfo will thus not display the data but prepare it,
>get it from disc retrieve info about in order to be displayed by the
>right presenter.

Mmh, how could a directory be prepared for the presenter?

>    > An other way coud be to present the directory in a Directory
>    > presenter and after choosing some data the right module presenter
>    > will be shown (maps, sermons etc.).
>
>    > But I think we should'nt create own module like maps or sermons
>    > for our own, we should only use SWORD ones.
>
>We won't create modules as SWORD modules. But we need some view on the
>data, some universal view. And since SWORD uses modules which is smart I
>think we should look at the BibleTime world as of modules we want to
>work with, no matter what there real representation is on disc. May it
>be a text file, and audio file, a jpeg,... or a directory. We need to
>put those different types in a common scheme...

Mmh, this is IMO against using the module presenters or how would you integrate
the different views in the module presenters?

>    > Since I have now a running KDE2 and QT2 and since the backend and
>    > GUI are being dicussed IMO it's time to begin coding for 0.3.
>
>Yes, please do so. But would you please send along the design of the
>classes you want to use? I would like to discuss them too. I've got a
>few ideas I want to share but I'm sure you have an even clearer view of
>what you wanna accomplish. So would you please write this down.

Ok!
I'll post it the next time in this list.
One cool thing: The KDE guys made a new Menubar. Now it's possible to have the
MDI-icons in the menubar like in MS-Office or in every win-app.
I think we use QextMDI.

>But we have an bug in 0.22 (see SWORD-support). I think we need to find
>and eliminate it and bring out a bug fix since it will take a bit of
>time till 0.3 is ready.

Yes! 0.2 is supposed to be updated from time to time if bugs occur or if new
languages are added.

-- Joachim
BibleTime - the bible study program for KDE
http://www.bibletime.de/
info@bibletime.de