[bt-devel] The design of the BackEnd

Torsten Uhlmann bt-devel@crosswire.org
16 Jan 2000 16:43:54 +0100

    > Hi Torsten!  Sorry for being late.

    > You wrote:

    >> CDirectoryModuleInfo will look at a directory as a module and the
    >> files in it will be the data that can be accessed via a key (file
    >> name). So for instance a directory with audio sermons or maps can
    >> be shown and if the user clicks on one the data will be presented
    >> in the right way- managed be the ModuleInfo class.

    > Perhaps I misunderstood you but I think we should present the data
    > using a module presenter of the GUI which uses the right
    > C*ModuleInfo class. Perhaps the module presenter for directories
    > should contain a tree like structure to represent the directory.

You misunderstood me :)
I don't want to create modules nor do I want do display data. The
backend is all about presenting the data from the disc to the GUI. Now
the GUI could handle all the different module types itself but then we
had no separation between GUI and backend.
A CDirectoryModuleInfo will thus not display the data but prepare it,
get it from disc retrieve info about in order to be displayed by the
right presenter.

    > An other way coud be to present the directory in a Directory
    > presenter and after choosing some data the right module presenter
    > will be shown (maps, sermons etc.).

    > But I think we should'nt create own module like maps or sermons
    > for our own, we should only use SWORD ones.

We won't create modules as SWORD modules. But we need some view on the
data, some universal view. And since SWORD uses modules which is smart I
think we should look at the BibleTime world as of modules we want to
work with, no matter what there real representation is on disc. May it
be a text file, and audio file, a jpeg,... or a directory. We need to
put those different types in a common scheme...

    > Since I have now a running KDE2 and QT2 and since the backend and
    > GUI are being dicussed IMO it's time to begin coding for 0.3.

Yes, please do so. But would you please send along the design of the
classes you want to use? I would like to discuss them too. I've got a
few ideas I want to share but I'm sure you have an even clearer view of
what you wanna accomplish. So would you please write this down.

But we have an bug in 0.22 (see SWORD-support). I think we need to find
and eliminate it and bring out a bug fix since it will take a bit of
time till 0.3 is ready.

--

best regards,
Torsten Uhlmann