[bt-devel] CVS Instructions

bt-devel@crosswire.org bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:19:48 GMT

Troy A. Griffitts writes:

> Darwin,
> 	CVS (concurrent versioning system) allows for concurrent development on
> the same files by different developers.  Upon checkin, CVS will merge
> your changes with the lastest version of the file in CVS.  If there is
> overlap of lines that were changed, CVS will mark the line in the file
> and ask you to make the choice for what should be final, showing you
> your new line with the line that is in CVS currently.
>
> It works pretty well for opensource projects.

That explains it.  I thought that it was risky to check-in without some
mechanism to handle concurrent updates.  I can see why the CVS paradigm
would be useful for open projects.

I was only using a command reference to learn CVS, thanks for the
explanation.

--
   Darwin Gregory

   Help California define marriage the way God does...
   Support Proposition 22!   Vote YES on Prop 22!