[bt-devel] The SWORD Cd in europe!

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:06:55 +0000

Hi!

> > > I am working on threaded searching. Could you please add "-lpthread" to
> > > the project's linker flags? I can't because my kdevelop (2.0pre) is not
> > > working. Thank you and God bless you!
> >
> > Please do not use KDevelop 2.0pre, it's alpha software. I use 1.2 CVS and
> > this is really stable and useful.
>
> How Do I do it within KDE2?

Why not use a script which executes KDevelop in a environment with changed
KDEDIR and QTDIR ?
A quick hack (no guarantee that it works).

#!/bin/bash
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde2
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt

exec $KDEDIR/bin/kdevelop

I use Enlightenmenbt and execute KDE2 programs from KDevelop (e.g.
BibleTime), and I use KDEDIRS to use them simultanously (KDEDIRS is for KDE2,
KDEDIR for KDE1 if both are set).

> > Martin, we do now required latest qt snapshot (ot CVSUP module qt-copy).
>
> Why? It still seems to work for me.

Ok, I was wrong. It's why I updates the admin stuff (moc classes removed
while runtime).

> > The new Qt does now support threads, do you already looked at it?
>
> No, I didn't. Sounds good. But today I implemented threaded searching -
> interruptable also. Please try it and comment.

Interrupt doesn't work, at least not with the latest CVS of SWORD (it
contains the indexinf stuff to speed up searching). But this is a bug in
SWORD. I'll post it on sword-devel.

> I used posix threads - i think they are available on most systems by now,
> but I don't really know. Maybe we change this to qt threading, but I prefer
> waiting until there is a stable release of QT. This is also valid for other
> things like the kde libraries - IMO it is not necessary that we use the
> most recent cvs version - we don't really need it, and at least I am
> wasting too much time with updating and compiling...
> Please tell me your opinions.

Sure, we want the stable libs. They are now binary compatible forever. Ok,
let's use the beta releases you have, I use CVS for testing.

> > I had to change the pointer to memberfunction part it csearchdialog.cpp,
> > I hope it works for you.
>
> What exactly? didn't notice it. I changed some things there also (a new
> button). I added interruptSearch() to CModuleInfo - hope this is ok.
> Where should I continue? (Joachim, you're the boss, please assign me a new
> task)

I committed now the changes. It was the pinter to SearchThread (or so, the
function which is called when the thread was created).
Adding things to CModuleInfo is OK, as long as they are portable and
implemented in the backend/sword/*SWORD* classes. it's correct.
Things which can be done:
I made a basic begin with libhtmlparse. If you do it I can concentrate on
printing. Saving works.
	-Redsign of the searchdialog, Inserting all found entries into the listview
takes too long. I thought we can use a listbox containing the modules with
found entries, clicking on a module in the lisbox refreshes another listbox
with the items of the module. IMHO this is more intuitive and faster (only
inserted if the user clicks a module and only the items of the desired
module).
	-Speedup of the lexicon presenters
	-Mechanism to create the search indexes (e.g. a dialog on first startup)
	-Module installation dialog (probably my part)
	-Plugin support (not sure if we should do it in 1.0, probably my part)

Feel free to take some things from the list ;-)

> Joachim, if you didn't already do it, please add "-lpthread" to the linker
> flags. Otherwise linking will fail.

Done.

> It would be good to have r/w thml support (for the sermon backend and for
> the CCEL :-) - tons of modules available). Is there something done about
> this in sword?

ThML filters are available for SWORD, but not complete at the moment. My
brother converted the rieger commentary (a german one!) to SWORD format uisng
ThML, but it's not yet in SWORD.
I think we support ThML in BT 0.3 and later. Maybe 0.25, don't know yet.

> Martin

-Joachim