[bd-users] No bibles?

Frank fchimes at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 12:23:49 MST 2006

DM Smith wrote:
> Frank,
>     Thanks for your info. See below for reply:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

> On Jun 11, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Frank wrote:
>
>> I need to give a little background.
>>
>> I use Bible Time, part of the KDE Desktop on Debian.  A friend of mine
>> saw it and said his wife would love to have something like that.  She's
>> a teacher and is the Religious Education Coordinator at her school here
>> in the UK.  I told him I'd look around and see if there was a Windows
>> version.  There isn't or at least I couldn't find one. I did, however,
>> find Bible Desktop!
>
> BibleDesktop and The SWORD Project for Windows are the two windows
> applications. I helped write BibleDesktop, so naturally, I am partial to
> it and
> can help squash bugs.
>

>> They have only a dial-up modem connection which they have to pay for by
>> the minute on-line, so I offered to download what they needed and burn
>> it to CDROM.  Once I had the CDROM, I installed the programs (they
>> needed the Java runtime and Acrobat Reader as well as Bible Desktop) and
>> unpacked and installed the modules I'd downloaded as well.
>
> To where did you install the modules? BibleDesktop can work with them
> where ever they are located (at least that's the plan and any thing
> short of that is a bug). However, BibleDesktop creates a .jsword directory in the
> user's home account and by default stores the modules it downloads into
> ~/.jsword/mods.d and ~/.jsword/modules.

I unzipped the files and ran the installer.  It installed the modules
into the directory pointed to by the second line in the module search
window:  <C:\Program Files\Crosswire\The SWORD Project>.  The mods.d and
modules were in here.

The first line in that window was different because it was Win98 and not
WinXP: <C:\Windows\.jsword>

> You can unzip them to ~/.jsword, if you like.
>
> As you probably found, you can set the search path to all the locations
> where modules are found and you can set the download directory to
> one of them. The big catch is that BibleDesktop assumes that this directory
> is writeable and readable by you. If not it won't work for downloads as
> you won't be able to write there.
>
> Generally this is not a problem in the Windows world cause no one can
> get the non-administrator account to work and every one has root access.
>

>> When I ran
>> the program, it said I had no Bibles and would I like to download one?
>> After a lengthy search, (I really must learn to read the manual *first*!
>> :) ), I added the link to where the Bibles were stored.  Still no joy.
>
> How did you add the link? Did you create a shortcut or did you add the
> directory containing mods.d and modules to the module search path in
> options?

I added it in the modules search path window in options.

>> As we live some distance apart, I had to come home at that point but I
>> told them I'd try to find out how to get the Bibles and other modules
>> working.  I downloaded the Bible Desktop installer to my hard drive, and
>> installed it on my machine so I could become more familiar with it.  It
>> found the modules I had for Bible Time without me telling it where they
>> were.  But when I opened the Tools/Options menu, Bible Desktop crashes
>> on my system.
>
> I will check this out. (I run FC5, and I can install KDE and BibleTime
> to try
> to duplicate your problem.) But check the permissions of the directory
> set as the
> download directory.

I'm not sure what the download directory is on my Debian box.  I can't
get to the options window to find out.  It seems to find all my Bible
Time modules so that directory has the right permissions.

>> I still don't know why it doesn't work on my friend's Win98 system.  Any
>> ideas how to get it to see the Bibles and other modules?  It would
>> really make a difference for her in her work if she had this tool
>> available.
>
> I just rebuilt my Win98SE laptop and will do some testing there today. I'll
> let you know what my results are. Perhaps I have given you enough to
> go on.

Thanks for your help!  :)