[bd-users] No bibles?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 11 11:16:13 MST 2006

Frank,
	Thanks for your info. See below for reply:

On Jun 11, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Frank wrote:

> I need to give a little background.
>
> I use Bible Time, part of the KDE Desktop on Debian.  A friend of mine
> saw it and said his wife would love to have something like that.
> She's
> a teacher and is the Religious Education Coordinator at her school
> here
> in the UK.  I told him I'd look around and see if there was a Windows
> version.  There isn't or at least I couldn't find one. I did, however,
> find Bible Desktop!

BibleDesktop and The SWORD Project for Windows are the two windows
applications. I helped write BibleDesktop, so naturally, I am partial
to it and
can help squash bugs.

> They have only a dial-up modem connection which they have to pay
> for by
> the minute on-line, so I offered to download what they needed and burn
> it to CDROM.  Once I had the CDROM, I installed the programs (they
> needed the Java runtime and Acrobat Reader as well as Bible
> Desktop) and
> unpacked and installed the modules I'd downloaded as well.

To where did you install the modules? BibleDesktop can work with them
where ever they are located (at least that's the plan and any thing
short of
that is a bug). However, BibleDesktop creates a .jsword directory in the
user's home account and by default stores the modules it downloads into
~/.jsword/mods.d and ~/.jsword/modules.

You can unzip them to ~/.jsword, if you like.

As you probably found, you can set the search path to all the locations
where modules are found and you can set the download directory to
one of them. The big catch is that BibleDesktop assumes that this
directory
is writeable and readable by you. If not it won't work for downloads as
you won't be able to write there.

Generally this is not a problem in the Windows world cause no one can
get the non-administrator account to work and every one has root access.

> When I ran
> the program, it said I had no Bibles and would I like to download one?
> After a lengthy search, (I really must learn to read the manual
> *first*!
> :) ), I added the link to where the Bibles were stored.  Still no joy.

How did you add the link? Did you create a shortcut or did you add the
directory containing mods.d and modules to the module search path in
options?

> As we live some distance apart, I had to come home at that point but I
> told them I'd try to find out how to get the Bibles and other modules
> working.  I downloaded the Bible Desktop installer to my hard
> drive, and
> installed it on my machine so I could become more familiar with
> it.  It
> found the modules I had for Bible Time without me telling it where
> they
> were.  But when I opened the Tools/Options menu, Bible Desktop crashes
> on my system.

I will check this out. (I run FC5, and I can install KDE and
BibleTime to try
to duplicate your problem.) But check the permissions of the
directory set as the
download directory.

> I still don't know why it doesn't work on my friend's Win98
> system.  Any
> ideas how to get it to see the Bibles and other modules?  It would
> really make a difference for her in her work if she had this tool
> available.

I just rebuilt my Win98SE laptop and will do some testing there
today. I'll
let you know what my results are. Perhaps I have given you enough to
go on.