[bt-devel] Eliminate KFontChooser from Configuration Dialog

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 20 03:52:44 MST 2008

Quoting Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>:

> Eeli and Martin,
>
> I saw your more recent emails on the subject of Qt Designer, but I
> wanted to give you my views of some of the issues that Eeli raised.
> I and other members of my project at work have written numerous
> complex dialogs and we prefer to use Designer. I will add some
> comments below.

So you have more experience with this and have probably found a way to
do it right. It may very well be that I've failed to learn the proper
system. When you find a situation, you can do it and it will work as
an example for us. We can then make further decisions. Martin didn't
still comment on the Config dialog issues, but I think we should
continue with the minimal changes, so that's not a good place to start
(yet).

> This is true, but the part that it does is often the hardest part to
> get right when written by hand. We generally use it for dialogs in
> creating the widgets and layout and some issues like tab order
> and widget properties. We generally don't use it for connections
> and you would want to write your own slot functions.

That's what I was saying - it's invaluable when doing the design and
in initial coding phase. After that my workflow differs: I take the
code created by Designer, copy and paste it / edit it and put it into
the final class file. That way I have complete control over the code
and all details and yet I didn't have to design the layout manually.
But, as said, you can show another way.

>>       - you can't name layouts
>>
> You certainly can.

Have this worked always? I just didn't find a way to do it as with
other items. Designer may of course have changed since that.

--Eeli Kaikkonen