[bt-devel] Search dialog changes

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Nov 15 03:19:59 MST 2008

I committed some changes to the search dialog.

The first one is the AND/OR search type. This has been requested by
users and I have seen this very reasonable. The implementation was
harder than I first thought. The AND search just adds AND between the
words - but what to do if user writes AND or OR by hand? I resolved this
by changing the type automatically to OR if the string includes AND/OR.
It's reflected in UI. Also history was a problem - should the history
have ANDs? I resolved this by saving the history items as they were
written, not adding any ANDs there. The same history item may now work
as both types if user changes the type.

The second one is the help button. I don't know if help buttons
generally are bad or good. I don't like them, mostly because I'm used to
buttons which open the ordinary help system and in the worst case not in
the wanted place. It also was a distraction in the UI: there were many
buttons on top of each other which made it difficult to find the correct
one (even though they were in line with the other respective elements).
Instead of the button I added a link which should raise interest in
users even more than a button. It's immediately clear that the link
points to syntax help, not to any general help. It's also right next to
the AND/OR items which are those which may need clarification. At the
same time it hopefully gives the idea of the OR type owning the "full
syntax".

The third one is the Search button. It's now placed next to the search
text field where it's immediately reachable with mouse after writing
some text. I think the text field and the action button are closely
related and should be next to each other. Moving the mouse to the bottom
of the dialog has always annoyed me.

The AND/OR button group serves also as a nice visual divider between the
most important part - text field and Search button -  and the rest of
the options area.

The fourth one is the Analyze button - it's moved to the left corner of
the dialog, even though it's not visible now. It took valuable space
from the result lists.

The help text must still be rewritten and the help dialog should be
ported to use a dialog which has a scroll area and is non-modal.

These changes need feedback about the UI and heavy testing. I can't
possibly find all ways the Search dialog is used and the AND/OR system
may break.

--Eeli Kaikkonen