[sword-devel] NASB

Matt Zabojnik mattzab at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:55:24 MST 2017

Yes sir, I forgive you, and can see how easily this could have been
misunderstood. I didn't intend on the dual conversation all in one thread,
I didn't expect the public domain question to be as extensive as it became.
I've not made any indication that I might freely distribute the NASB, nor
am I under the impression that it is public domain- hence the need for
permission.

Entirely unrelated to distributing NASB, I was asking about public domain
source texts, BDB and Thayer for example. Some of the responses I've
received regarding public domain module conversion has seemed a little
confusing. As I understand the most recent statement of policy to be is
that I need two specific things: Express written permission from the
copyright holder, as well as source data from the same party. Now the
confusion I run into is how that can apply to a public domain resource.
Likewise, aside from CCEL, by what authority can I verify that a public
domain resource is valid and acceptable?

Please forgive my ignorance here, and thank you for your patience. Being
new to the Crosswire scene and with a desire to do things right, I do need
a little assistance. Could you point me to a reliable resource that I can
use to find out who the copyright owners are for public domain resource, in
order to request permission to distribute? I'm not asking you to do the leg
work for me, but perhaps to simply recommend a reliable resource for
finding what I need. I seem to misunderstand what is meant by public domain
when referenced on the Crosswire wiki. I had always thought something along
the lines that any work published prior to 1923, with no copyright renewal,
was able to be freely reproduced without permission of any kind.

Again, thank you for the help here. I'm hoping to see clearly soon.

Oh and on another note, the webpage I linked to earlier for the book By
Foot To China, I have been granted permission by that copyright owner as
well, in this case, for free distribution. (Please let's start a fresh
thread if this book needs forget discussion to prevent more confusion)

Blessings y'all!
With joy in the Lord,
Matt